It has been a busy summer semester for the CO-OPS + CAREERS team connecting students, alumni, and employers virtually. Through two new initiatives, the Inside Industry Right Now series and The Virtual Hiring Meetup, 140 students met and networked with 29 employers. Employer partners shared information about available co-op and full-time opportunities and insights into how the Covid19 pandemic has impacted their industry and hiring practices.
Inside Industry Right Now
Inside Industry Right Now, our series which took place in June and July, offered Wentworth students and alumni the opportunity to engage with employers and fellow Wentworth alumni while navigating the current working landscape together. 81 students participated in eight sessions featuring 10 employer partners and alumni. Our guests included:
- Jason Cornaro, Industrial Design ’13
- S Department of Veteran Affairs – VA Boston Healthcare
- Perkins & Will
- Hasbro, Inc.
- Weston & Sampson Engineers
- Commodore Builders
Each session was moderated by a member of the CO-OPS + CAREERS team as we talked with hiring managers, supervisors, freelance designers, vice presidents and more. During an Inside Industry session, we got answers to questions like:
- How has COVID-19 impacted the work being done within the organization?
- What skills did employees need to be successful?
- How has the workplace changed since March and what does it look like for the future?
- How has recruiting, interviewing and on-boarding changed?
- What opportunities exist for Wentworth students?
Thank you to all who attended our Inside Industry Right Now summer sessions! Keep an eye out for our fall series.
Virtual Hiring Meet-Up
CO-OPS + CAREERS hosted our first ever summer hiring event on Wednesday, August 19th from 10 am – 12 pm. The event welcomed 19 employer organizations ranging in industry from Aerial Intelligence to Health Care with 28 representatives; all of whom were actively recruiting our students and recent graduates for fall co-ops and full-time roles. 59 Wentworth students participated in a total of 143 video chats, a few even received offers directly after their video meeting!
For students who attended the CO-OP + CAREER Fair, below are some tips for following up.
- Send a thank you email to the employers with whom you spoke. Find our guide to thank you notes here. If you need a reminder of which companies with whom you spoke, a list of the employers is available in WITworks > Events > Career Fairs > “Summer 2020 Virtual Hiring Meet-Up” > Video Chats. Use this opportunity to include a copy of your resume.
- If a recruiter gave you specific instructions, be sure to follow through on those items and then follow up with the recruiter.
- Unable to send a thank-you note for lack of contact information? Stay connected through social media: find the company or even the person you spoke with on LinkedIn or Twitter. Follow their feeds to stay up-to-date on new openings and other news!
- You are always welcome to check in with your CO-OP + CAREER Advisor to see if they can provide you with any helpful information, too.
- Share your feedback with us via this short survey so we can make improvements for the Fall Virtual CO-OP – CAREER Fair.
If you were unable to attend the Summer Hiring Meet-Up, be on the lookout for future opportunities to connect with employers, including the announcement about our Fall Virtual CO-OP + CAREER Fairs.
Employers, be on the lookout for recruiting opportunities in the coming months. For details about our Fall Virtual CO-OP + CAREER Fairs, check out our event information page. Interested in participating? Register for any of the three free Career Fairs through your WITworks account or by contacting Chris McIntyre, email@example.com.
Thank you to everyone who joined on August 19th, your support makes all the difference.
We look forward to seeing everyone at our events this Fall!