Accelerate Co-op for Entrepreneurs (ACE)
Have you started a business? Do you have a business idea that you’ve started making traction on? Have you identified a problem that needs solving and a possible solution that you want to commercialize? The Accelerate Co-op for Entrepreneurs (ACE) could be the perfect fit for you!
Entrepreneurship is one of the power skills of the 21st century. Like technological literacy and critical thinking, being able to think and act like an entrepreneur has rapidly become a necessary skill for college graduates.
Built to meet the needs of Wentworth’s entrepreneurial students, ACE is a unique opportunity for students to use their co-op to launch and/or grow a business, while getting paid! Spend a full semester focusing exclusively on your business, while working directly with faculty advisors and mentors, receiving $2,500 to spend on materials, getting Accelerate support through its staff and makerspace, and immersing yourself in a peer network of other WIT student entrepreneurs. You will also receive a $9,000 stipend for living expenses such as rent, food, and utilities to ensure that you can focus on your business full-time.
The Accelerate Co-op for Entrepreneurs (ACE) provides support for up to six student entrepreneurs looking to launch and/or grow their businesses. You will work directly with a faculty advisor to set goals for yourself, receive guidance and feedback, increase your network, and stay on top of self-identified milestones. To be a successful entrepreneur, you must be self-directed and self-motivated to move your ideas forward. As such, this experience is largely self-directed, and these four components will be integral to your success:
1) Attending additional entrepreneurship workshops and events offered by Accelerate and external startup organizations
2) Mentoring through faculty advisors, Accelerate staff and entrepreneurs-in-residence, and other local experts
3) Immersion into the larger entrepreneurship ecosystem to gather inspiration and build your own network of mentors, peers, and champions
4) Regular meetings with your assigned faculty supervisor and bi-weekly meetings with other ACE student entrepreneurs
You will spend most of this co-op experience working independently on building your business. In addition to that, you will:
- Meet with your co-op faculty advisor each week
- Accelerate and external startup workshops and events
- Meet with the larger group of ACE advisors and entrepreneurs every other week
- Provide evidence of progress against your milestones on a regular basis
- Proactively seek out external mentors and champions
- Other activities as assigned by your co-op faculty advisor
To ensure students can focus on their business full-time, the ACE experience provides generous support in the form of a stipend and materials fees:
Students receive a $9,000 stipend, paid in three installments. Additionally, ACE entrepreneurs can receive up to $2,500 to pay for materials and other business-related expenses. Those expenses must be approved by the ACE team before a check will be dispersed and must be spent during the semester in which the co-op takes place.
To apply: submit a resume and complete the following form.
After the review of applications, qualified candidates will be asked to complete an interview.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and priority will be given to students who apply early.