Background & Overview
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra low-carbon cement that can be used in virtually any application under existing standards. Sublime’s breakthrough process replaces the industry’s legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature and eliminates the use of fossil fuel and limestone, resulting in a zero-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are “amped about cement” (pun intended), who share our values of excellence, creativity, and teamwork, and our motivation to create a better world.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform how the world makes cement. Sublime Systems seeks a creative and dynamic Pilot Plant Technician to support installation, start-up, and operations of our first pilot plant. The technician will be central to executing, improving upon, and maintaining procedures that enable reliable plant operation. As a member of Sublime Systems’ small but growing team the right individual will be a key resource in the scale up of Sublime’s technology.
● Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure compliance with Sublime’s EH&S protocols
● Hands on operation of the pilot plant including methodical documentation of operating conditions
● Perform necessary pre-operation and end of shift activities to ensure proper equipment start-up and operation on multiple pieces of equipment
● Perform hands-on troubleshooting and repair of electromechanical systems/components
● Perform routine investigative tear downs of process equipment to capture physical materials characteristics
● Recommend, as well as facilitate installation and assembly of new equipment or tools to increase process efficiency
● Manage parts and consumables inventories
● Maintain pilot plant conditions in a fashion that facilitates cleanliness and productivity
● Move and handle compressed gas cylinders
● Move reasonably sized drums of chemicals and packages of raw materials by hand or using a hand pallet jack or hand drum truck (no forklift operation)
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The role will initially focus on the development of the design, installation, troubleshooting, and operation of Sublime’s pilot facility. This role is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent engaging in pilot scale testing and troubleshooting. Successful candidates will be results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
The ideal candidate will have:
● Experience working in an industrial lab or manufacturing setting.
● Ability to master existing processes while proactively seeking out new methods to improve upon them.
● A strong sense for chemical safety, organization, and attention to detail.
● Ability to troubleshoot equipment and make keen observations on process anomalies, recommend process improvements, and articulate findings.
This position is located in Somerville, MA
● 2+ years experience in a production or manufacturing environment
● Experience with routine maintenance on process equipment (pumps, agitators, instruments, etc).
● Experience troubleshooting electromechanical systems
● Able to lift objects up to 50 lb, climb ladders, and work on step stools
●Ability to wear needed PPE, this may occasionally include full face respirator
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.