SCI AmeriCorps Member Service Position 2023-2024 Community Engagement Coordinator
The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by connecting young people with the relationships, experiences, and resources they need to succeed. Members implement capacity building activities that increase volunteer participation, and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps Members have served at various host sites in the Greater Boston area that are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc. (SCI).
SCI AmeriCorps is currently looking for candidates to fill positions for a 1700-hour service term (approximately 40 hours/week) from late August 2023 through June 2024. In addition to supporting the capacity building of the host site, the goal is to empower youth to positively impact their communities and build their social capital through collaboration with peers and adults while developing leadership skills.
HOST SITE OPPORTUNITY ~ Kids in Tech ~ Boston & Lowell, MA
Giving kids the skills they need to succeed in the 21st century and beyond, Kids in Tech’s mission is to educate, excite, and empower youth to utilize technology and foster a lifelong interest that will aid in their educational and employment possibilities. www.kidsintech.org.
At Kids in Tech, the SCI AmeriCorps Member will need to (essential):
- Commit to Full-Time service in local communities with diverse residents
- Serve in-person for some or all service activities
- Participate fully in all SCI AmeriCorps orientations and trainings
- Participate fully in KIT trainings, resulting in industry-approved certifications
- Mentor youth (ages 8-14) in Lowell and/or Boston public schools as an after-school KIT TechClub junior instructor in STEM subjects
- Help lead weekly meetings and activities of after-school Tech Clubs
- Assist with recruiting, training, organizing, and mobilizing volunteers
- Liaise between KIT and Lowell and Boston Public Schools to coordinate Tech Club activities
- Have a strong work ethic with collaboration and time management skills
- Be able to read and write fluently in English
- Complete a Social Capital Youth Project for Kids in Tech’s youth enrichment programming
In addition, Kids in Tech would prefer the SCI AmeriCorps Member (marginal):
- Have an expressed interest / experience in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM)
- Be willing to learn various coding languages (CSS, HTML, Python, etc.) and/or other tech subjects
- Be curious, patient, and excited to support STEM programs for youth while developing own skills
- Have prior experience managing youth
- Have prior experience event planning and/or creating systems
- Be familiar with social media, Google Suite, Microsoft Office
- Have strong organizational, research and problem-solving skills
- Be bilingual in English and Spanish (and/or another language)
- Receive a Taxable Stipend up to $23,000/year, paid bi-weekly
- Earn a Federal Education Award worth up to $6,895 upon successful completion of service
- 40-hour SCI Member Training Program: professional development training in Volunteer Management, Building Social Capital, Community Outreach, Youth Development, Project Management, and DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
- Eligible for Free Healthcare at a no-cost premium
- Can receive Student Loan Forbearance during active service
Submit your application through the form at bit.ly/servewithsci. Please contact our Program Director with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for applications, interviews and service. If you need an accommodation, please contact our Program Director at email@example.com.
SCI AmeriCorps prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment based on of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, pregnancy, genetic information, military service/veteran status, political affiliation, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.