Job Description: Building Envelope Technician Co-Op
What we do at SPS:
Schernecker Property Services (SPS) is a contractor based in Needham, MA performing large capital improvement projects and maintenance for New England community associations. We are a growing company committed to our mission of delivering the highest-value, long-term solutions to our clients and their properties.
What our Building Envelope Technician Co-Op will do:
As a Building Envelope Technician Co-Op, you will learn the SPS process in evaluating and inspecting exterior components of condominium buildings. You will assist in supporting the SPS Savings BluePrint process, a process that establishes facts and provides solutions to remedy a building’s aging exterior. You will have the opportunity to listen in on SPS client meetings explaining the facts and conditions of their exterior envelope. You may also learn and assist in field measuring and estimating for the Sales and Planning Team at SPS.
The responsibilities are expected to include:
Building Envelope Investigations and Documentation
· Assist invasive investigations in the field to document and establish facts about the condition of the building envelope. (~40%)
· Development of illustrative and other client communicative content. (~40%)
· Assist and provide input on existing conditions found during investigations. (~10%)
· Assist with internal scheduling and daily communication. (~5%)
· Support small project investigation and testing teams. (~5%)
What you can Expect from us
· Competitive hourly wage.
· Visits to active job-sites to learn broadly about the company.
· Education on current building envelope technologies.
· Opportunity to bridge academic gap from classroom to field experience.
· Experience with a niche contractor providing a specialized and targeted planning approach to Capital Restoration Projects
A successful Building Envelope Technician Co-Op should be able to balance the above responsibilities through excellent time management skills and a strong commitment to “doing the job right.” This role is supervised by the Building Envelope Analyst, and it is a Short Term Hourly Position.
· Self-motivated: Is disciplined. Sets and works to achieve goals without needing to be managed. Identifies and overcomes obstacles and sees tasks through to full completion.
· Organization: Is able to prioritize, coordinate, and manage multiple projects at once. Can switch gears from a normal workflow to a fast-paced schedule when time-sensitive requirements arise.
· Construction knowledge: Some knowledge of exterior construction, waterproofing, roofing, cladding systems is preferred but not required. Architecture, Engineering, or Construction background.
· Communication: Has excellent oral, written, and presentation skills. Builds and maintains strong working relationships with clients, vendors, and employees. Ability to understand Spanish a plus.
· Team player: Works harmoniously with co-workers and clients with a team-first attitude.
· Technology: Has basic computer skills and is comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite. Experience using file sharing platforms like Box is a plus.
· Flexibility: In addition to working in the office, this position requires willingness to travel to job sites throughout New England. Time is split equally between office and travel. Typical hours are 7:30am to 5:00pm. Candidate may be asked to participate in some evening meetings which can sometimes last until 8pm.
· Physical component: Requires driving, lifting of materials and ladders, climbing on roofs and walking through job sites. A driver’s license and access to a vehicle for visits to job sites will be necessary.