About POAH: Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve and steward affordable rental housing to provide stability, hope and economic security to low- and moderate-income individuals, seniors and families. POAH owns and operates more than 11,000 affordable homes at more than 100 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia and is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington D.C.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation has resulted from a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of ‘at risk’ properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. At POAH we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
About the Opportunity: The Construction Project Manager role (CPM) is designed to bring dedicated design & construction management knowledge and support to POAH’s Development teams. Working with the development practice group, the CPM will serve as day-to-day contact with third party architects, construction managers/general contractors and OPMs regarding design & construction issues and will work closely with development project managers, partners, project accountants, design & technical staff and other internal staff to manage the project from inception through completion. Some of the essential responsibilities and tasks include:
· Provide pre-acquisition/pre-development advisory and due diligence services on construction related items such as: budget, phasing, and site logistics;
· Perform site visits and building analysis/due diligence prior to acquiring an asset and create internal reports detailing risks, recommendations for improvement and other pertinent information based on the site visit;
· With development project manager, assist in the hiring of appropriate architects, consultants, engineers, and contractors to aid in property due diligence while staying within due diligence budget;
· With development project manager, assist in the creation scopes of work and hard cost budgets for renovations/repositioning and energy efficiency/green measures;
· With development project manager, assist in plan review to ensure conformance to POAH’s standards, the project goals, and identify constructability issues;
· Assist development project manager with Review and negotiation of terms and conditions for design and construction-related agreements with project attorneys, including but not limited to architect and general contractor contracts, other contractor/consultant contracts;
· Work with in-house team of project managers during preconstruction to review plans prepared by the 3rd party architects and construction budgets prepared by outside Construction Managers/General Contractors to support competitive pricing;
· Manage value engineering process;
· Develop and manage project schedules incorporating design, investigation, bidding, agency approvals, construction, and lease up tasks. Manage milestones for the team
· Engage with local utility companies for project requirements and coordinate with design team
· Attend site project meetings as Owner’s Representative;
· Provide support for timely completion of projects, including monitoring inspections, submittals, change orders, requests for information, construction change directives, commissioning, schedule, close out, punch list and construction quality;
· Review contracts, contractor requisitions, change order and draw requests as required;
· Ensure adherence to budget, schedule, and design goals
· Support and promote opportunities for MWBE/Section 3 businesses and workforce
· BS is preferred by not required in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or related field;
· Minimum 5+ years of experience in the design and construction management/administration for Architects, General Contractors, Construction Managers, or Development Companies.
· Understand typical GC/CM contract terms and have the ability to assist in major contract negotiations;
· Candidate must be willing to travel. Amount of travel will be based on transaction volume
· Familiarity with construction means and methods is preferred;
· Excellent project management skills;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Self-starter with ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and contribute productively in a team environment;
· Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Project,
· Experience with LEED and/or energy management systems a plus;
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, life and short/long term disability insurance, and a 401k retirement plan with company match component.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply