Job Description Job Code
Mfg Engineer II 208104 / 2026005
Salary Grade: 5
Employee Type: Exempt
Ensures maximum cost effectiveness and reliability of Gerotor manufacturing processes and workflow. Determines the methods and sequence of manufacturing operations for products and machine parts and assemblies; ensures that products and processes meet customer quality requirements. Provides producibility input and manufacturing plans for product design or modification.
1. Evaluates manufacturing processes by conducting process analysis, applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials, conferring with suppliers, and soliciting observations from operators/production technicians.
Performs problem solving and root cause analysis of manufacturing issues. Recommends and implements effective corrective actions.
2. Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; and conferring with equipment suppliers. Prepares written and graphical work instructions for the communication of manufacturing requirements to production personnel.
3. Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, and equipment layout. Assures process control and reliability for assigned area(s).
4. Assures product and process quality by designing testing and inspection methods, testing finished product and process capabilities, and establishing standards to confirm and validate manufacturing process requirements.
5. Recommends changes to refine and enhance products and processes by applying continuous improvement and key lean manufacturing/production principles and techniques to areas of production.
6. Provides manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor standards, and material costs, reviewing production schedules, and estimating future requirements. May provide on-site support to address technical issues at supplier base.
7. Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
8. May provide concurrent engineering support and recommend manufacturing methods to the engineering design team.
9. May keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services, following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures, and requesting special service.
10. May maintain product and process database by writing computer programs and entering data.
11. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing publications, establishing industry networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in professional associations.
12. Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements (e.g. environmental, safety, etc.) by studying existing and new legislation, ensuring adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
13. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed. Work assignments may include cross-
functional or project team responsibilities (e.g. continuous improvement).
Job Requirements: QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
Bachelors degree (BS) in Manufacturing Engineering or related engineering field. Professional entry level position. May have limited prior industry experience or worked with direction in student internship programs. Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME) or Mechanical Engineering (ASME) certification desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Fundamental knowledge of metallurgy and heat treatment of common aerospace materials.
Fundamental knowledge of lean manufacturing/production principles and techniques.
General knowledge of aerospace industry or similar industry products and legal and regulatory requirements related to manufacturing plants. Ability to use standard business applications software and/or specialized data analysis tools.
May be required to develop skills in drafting, programming, and CAD or other computer aided manufacturing systems.
Ability to research and analyze data and develop recommendations or resolve problems.
Ability to work with only general work direction and instructions regarding the scope of assignments, determine priority and order of assignments.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals and reports.
Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from team members, team leaders, customers, and regulatory agencies.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to effectively demonstrate team member competencies and participate in goal-setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities.
TYPICAL MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to operate a computer and is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Also expected of the employee is regular attendance, the ability to work cooperatively and professionally with others and members of the public, and the ability to manage multiple tasks at once. The employee may be required to travel to vendors or customers including overnight trips.
(The essential functions have been provided as examples of types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. The Company reserves the right to modify the work assignments and/or to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. The physical and mental demands described above are representative of those required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.)
(11/21/2008) (C/O July 2015)