The Job in a Nutshell
We are accepting resumes from qualified candidates for a geotechnical/geoenvironmental engineering field technician co-op position. The position mainly involves being present on construction sites and responsibilities include performing on-site observation and documentation of geotechnical and/or geoenvironmental aspects of subsurface explorations programs, construction and/or remediation projects in accordance with our scope of services. The ideal candidate will be able to develop and maintain a good working, professional relationship with the owner, owner’s representative, general contractor and subcontractors.
- Monitor foundation-related construction activities such as earthwork, ground improvement, and pile installation.
- Perform in-place density testing on backfill material.
- Coordinate with contractors.
- Prepare daily field reports.
- Perform environmental sampling of soil, groundwater, soil gas, and indoor air.
- Monitor environmental remediation.
- Perform laboratory geotechnical testing.
- Perform vibration monitoring with seismographs.
- Monitor subsurface explorations (e.g. borings, test pits).
- Communicate activities with project team on a daily basis.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation.
- Ability to travel to project sites in Massachusetts and surrounding area.
- Current 10-hour OSHA Construction Industry Training or 40-hour HAZWOPER training is preferred, but not required.
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Office, Bluebeam, Adobe.
Working During the Pandemic
The Covid-19 Pandemic has created challenges to maintaining our unique culture, but we continue to work collaboratively both remotely, and in the office and field with appropriate safety protocols in place. We operate under a detailed Covid-19 Exposure Prevention, Preparedness and Response Plan for both field use and office re-entry, that is directly aligned with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, CDC, and OSHA guidelines.
The Hiring Process
- You read this job posting and think to yourself “That sounds like a company I want to apply to.”
- You send your resume to email@example.com.
- We get in touch to set up a virtual interview.
- If all goes well, you start working at McPhail, tapping into your geotechnical/geoenvironmental knowledge on a regular basis and subtly bragging to your former coworkers or classmates about your new job.