About the Bus Network Redesign:
The MBTA bus network carries one-third of our customers, but has not had a major overhaul since the mid-20th century. Since that time, Greater Boston has experienced significant changes. New employment districts have emerged, demographics have shifted, travel patterns have changed alongside new mobility options such as ridesharing and bike share, traffic congestion has increased, and MBTA ridership has declined. In order to respond to this changing context, the Bus Network Redesign will recommend a new bus network that meets today’s regional needs.
Reporting to the Bus Network Redesign Project Manager, the Project Assistant will be responsible for supporting a wide variety of projects related to the planning and implementation of the Bus Network Redesign. These projects could include database management and review of public feedback and ideas; assistance with outreach activities such as focus groups and workshops; mapping and visualization of spatial and data-based project components for presentation; creation and development of website and messaging content; preparation of both internal and external communications; and collaboration with other MassDOT and MBTA offices on affiliated technical projects.
The responsibilities in this position are extremely varied, with many different topics and types of tasks depending on experience and interest. A successful applicant needs to be able to manage multiple projects with concurrent timelines and be very detail-oriented, independent, proactive, and organized. It is also critical to be able to write and communicate effectively.
Potential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gain familiarity with the Bus Network Redesign project components and timeline; get a thorough understanding of the goals, metrics, and scope of the project; and effectively communicate these to internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage, and maintain databases of public input; review, organize, and extract data to better understand common themes and trends, or as needed by stakeholders; analyze, visualize, and present data as needed.
- Create and develop website and broader messaging content; prepare PowerPoint slides and other presentation materials to effectively communicate complex information.
- Coordinate contact with community representatives by email, phone, or in-person; document conversations and keep ongoing contact records; identify next steps in the engagement process and strategies to ensure equitable rider representation.
- Actively participate in team strategy sessions, internal and external stakeholder meetings, organization events, and other duties as necessary.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment, with multiple competing priorities/projects.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a small and collaborative team environment.
- Solution-oriented attitude, with excellent time management and organizational skills; strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with ArcGIS mapping software or other data visualization programs a plus.
- Experience in communications and/or graphic design a plus.
- Experience and interest in transit or transportation a plus.
By the end of the co-op, the Project Assistant will have been exposed to a broad variety of departments throughout the MBTA and MassDOT, as well as external organizations and community groups. They will have gained experience managing multiple concurrent projects, developing materials to support community engagement, communication with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders, and interacting with personnel at many levels of government. They will have had the opportunity to contribute to and share the development of a project which affects the entirety of the MBTA bus network and all of its riders.
In addition, depending on the person’s interests and skills, MassDOT staff in the organization will assist in matching the student with appropriate side projects and mentors.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Specialist Alaina Seitz at Alaina.firstname.lastname@example.org.