At MassDOT, transportation is not about what it is – trains, roads, bridges – transportation is important for what it does – it gets people where they need to go and connects them to people and places. Providing mobility options is critical to support the safety, mobility and accessibility, equity, health and wellness, economic, climate and environmental goals of the Commonwealth.
Reporting to the Director of Sustainable Mobility in the MassDOT Secretary’s Office, the Sustainable Mobility Assistant will be responsible for supporting a wide variety of projects. Responsibilities include project coordination; research and outreach; preparation of internal and external communications; collaboration with colleagues in MassDOT divisions/offices and external partners. A major focus in 2021 is safety, safe systems, and mobility justice.
The responsibilities in this position are extremely varied, with many different topics and types of tasks depending on priority projects, experience and interest. A successful applicant needs to be able to manage multiple projects with concurrent timelines and be very detail-oriented, independent, proactive, and organized. It is also critical to be able to write and communicate effectively, to be able to work constructively in a large and complex organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of policies and execution strategies through research and outreach to internal colleagues and external partners. Help ensure we are addressing local issues and following best practices.
- Coordinate meetings with internal and external partners from various disciplines to advance the work, with the potential to facilitate meetings
- Support the development of new communication materials to report progress
- Draft presentations for meetings, webinars, and public events
- Actively participate in strategy sessions, internal and external stakeholder meetings, and events
- Support the day-to-day work of the Director of Sustainable Mobility
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment, with multiple competing priorities/projects.
- Ability to work effectively in a small and collaborative team environment.
- Solution-oriented attitude, with excellent time management and organizational skills; strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience and interest in transit or transportation a plus.
By the end of the co-op, the Sustainable Mobility Assistant will have been exposed to a broad variety of transportation topics, departments throughout MassDOT, and partner agencies and organizations across the country. They will have gained experience managing projects, developing policies and implementation strategies, creating communication materials, and interacting with personnel at many levels of government. They will have had the opportunity to contribute to and share the development of a project which affects people across the Commonwealth.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Alaina Seitz, Human Resources Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.