Note: This role comes with the potential to begin work before September, depending on the candidate’s availability.
R&D · Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Top Talent helps us to improve lives around the world.
Laborie Medical Technologies is currently searching for an R&D Electrical Engineering Intern to join our team in the Portsmouth, NH office.
Do you thrive in a changing environment? Do you enjoy a challenge and the excitement of being a change agent for a company?
Are you hungry? Hungry to share your ideas and the opportunity to learn and grow in a fast-paced environment?
Are you eager? Are you ready to dive in and showcase your fresh ideas and drive change? Will you roll up your sleeves, and help us find practical solutions?
Are you creative? Do you think outside of the box and love collaborating with cross-functional teams?
Do you like risk? Do you take calculated risks to find creative solutions to problems?
Do you want to have some fun? While we are a company with a long history and large roots, we function like a start-up. If you have a passion for Quality, Perseverance, Accountability and Teamwork, and would like to help us improve lives around the world, come help us shape our future!
Who are we?
LABORIE is an industry-leading innovator, manufacturer and supplier of medical technologies and devices, with headquarters in the United States, Canada and the Netherlands. We enjoy a strong diversity of talent with 875 global employees. We have grown significantly over the past several years and continue to invest in new technologies, companies and regions.
LABORIE takes great pride in supporting doctors, nurses, hospitals, clinics, academic institutions and patients with treatment and diagnostic innovations. We are focused on educating healthcare providers and their patients on the latest solutions in Urological and Gastrointestinal health. But that’s not all… recently we are delighted to announce that we have acquired Clinical Innovations, one of the largest healthcare manufacturers exclusively focused on labor, delivery and NICU.
The R&D Electrical Engineering Intern will be responsible for providing R&D support to existing products in our portfolio as well as performing engineering activities in support of new product development. The summer internship will consist of a focal project that will contribute to an active project within R&D and allow the student to take ownership of an assignment while supporting the engineering team. Both general assignments and project work may include aspects of product and component design, material selection, customer and product specification development, design controls, packaging design and other product development activities in support of revenue, quality, production, and cost reduction goals.
The R&D Electrical Engineering Intern has a variety of duties and responsibilities that include engineering, as well as other project related activities. A summer-long project will be identified at the start of the internship and will be scoped to allow for a summary and report out at the end of the term. Specific responsibilities will include
- Product design support and compliance with the medical device Design controls.
- Product testing, test method development, protocol and report writing.
- Supporting the revision of design controls procedures as needed.
- Support the engineering team in the development of electromechanical assemblies, electronics, wired and wireless communication design, as well as electrical safety and EMC related design elements associated with the development of medical devices.
- Maintains and updates specifications, PCB design, drawings, and other documentation relevant the product as defined by the quality system.
- Offer support to Sustaining Engineering (PLM) as needed.
- Support risk management activities such as hazard analyses and FMEAs.
- Maintains and updates specifications, material selections, drawings, and other documentation relevant the product as defined by the quality system and in support of requirements related to REACH, RoHS, WEEE etc.
- Provide support for a variety of activities on new product development including design, prototyping, material selection, verification, validation, design for manufacturing.
- Assess changes in production and the impact to the design of the product.
- Work closely with software engineering and electrical engineering team members to integrate design of the system where required.
· Will have accountability for design and testing with external labs to support global medical electrical safety and EMC standards (60601 and its associated subparts)
· Currently enrolled in a 4-year Engineering Degree program; Electrical Engineering or similar.
· Excellent communication skills, including technical writing.
· Ability to lead and work with multi-disciplinary teams.
· Works well under pressure
· Ability to work with minimal supervision and contribute positively within a global team.
· Technical aptitude, “hands-on” approach to engineering
· Basic understanding of engineering concepts including FEA, design for manufacturing and design requirements generation
· CAD software skills (Altium) strongly preferred.
LABORIE is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law.
LABORIE is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in our services, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities.
LABORIE, (www.LABORIE.com) is a leading global developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical technologies and devices. We deliver innovative Urological and Gastrointestinal products that improve patients’ health and quality of life. Our reputation and brand continue to be the “gold standard” in our industry. In business since 1967, LABORIE’s global reach extends to 11 offices, in 10 countries, with manufacturing facilities located in Canada, USA, The Netherlands and Switzerland. Working closely with clinicians, universities, and non-profits around the globe, we make a difference worldwide.
Today, LABORIE is one of the world’s fastest growing medical technology companies. Since 2012, we have acquired 14 additional companies within our market space; product line offerings have increased, and we’ve expanded into new categories. We are excited by our recent change in ownership to Patricia Industries, a division of Investor AB. Investor AB is a leading owner of best-in-class international companies and holds significant shareholder interests in quality companies such as AstraZeneca, NASDAQ, ABB, Ericsson, Electrolux, Saab and many others. With this new partnership, we continue to grow as we make acquisitions and further accelerate our growth strategies. This kind of growth signals an exciting time for the company and presents great opportunities for joining our team of action-oriented and forward-thinking individuals are inspired by challenging career opportunities.