Core Job Title:
Digital Model Artist Intern
Working towards a bachelor’s degree in Illustration, Computer Animation, Visual Effects
Description of Job:
This position is responsible for the creative development of manufacturable aesthetics in the product development process. A model artist works closely with development partners to achieve high-quality product aesthetics that meet the demands of licensing partners and consumers utilizing the latest in digital and traditional techniques. They are responsible for creating an array of digital and physical assets at critical intervals in the development process, to represent and communicate aesthetics for production and for marketing/promotional needs.
The artist will use a variety of creative programs to capture the projects esthetics including ZBrush, Keyshot, Maya, UE4, and Substance Painter to produce fully rendered 3D assets. These assets will be used for licensor approvals, marketing assets, direct digital printing files, and tech packages. The ability to explore and learn and adapt quickly to new software programs will contribute to success.
The candidate will also utilize a variety of traditional painting techniques including freehand painting, masking, airbrush, spray painting, as well as color mixing and matching using the Pantone system. Ability to work with precision on delicate objects and to perform some fine modelmaking work is a plus.
The position utilizes highly sensitive intellectual property and must follow company policies and procedures to ensure that IP assets are protected in all forms.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Job:
1. 60% The creation of fully rendered digital assets for use in the development process including direct digital printing files, tech/spec packages, licensor samples, photo samples, as well as marketing and promotional assets.
2. 20% Utilize traditional painting techniques to create physical samples for use in development including licensor deco models, paint masters, photo models, and presentation models. Techniques used include hand, airbrush, and sprayed lacquer-based systems.
3. 10% Communicate with cross-functional department members on aesthetics and component/content accuracy.
4. 5% Supports event teams, department staff, & Sales/Marketing with set-up/strike of product for a variety of events such as Customer Previews and fan-based events.
5. 5% Performs other duties as responsibilities necessitate or as assigned.
Job Reports to: Manager
Number of direct reports: 0
Number of indirect reports: 0