Co-op System Administrator
Eisai’s Genetics guide Dementia Discovery Initiative (G2D2) is offering a tremendous opportunity for a Junior Systems Administrator to join a new technology-focused, exciting, and state-of-the-art life sciences research facility. This hands-on role will be developed to take ownership and operation of new and existing systems both on-premises and in the Cloud (AWS/Azure). In addition, this position will participate in the support of G2D2 researchers in both basic Linux functional and escalated technical support. A successful candidate will apply a Learn-Do-Document methodology to any assigned responsibilities. Additional opportunities include aiding G2D2 IT in maximizing capabilities and resources through research and exploration of DevOps technology and methods.
- Responsible for the daily systems administration of web, application, network, backup, and database systems, including monitoring, maintenance, security, and patching in OnPrem and Cloud (AWS) environments
- Maintain technical configuration and knowledge base documentation
- Provide Tier 1 and Tier 2 problem identification and alert response with guidance from senior staff
- Troubleshoot and address hardware, software, and network issues
- Manage escalations (internal and external)
- Participate in testing and implementation of new or upgraded servers and software applications
- Participate in local, regional, and global projects under the supervision of senior staff
- Support End Users with service or application issues and Tier 1 Linux functions.
- Participate in rotational backup support of global applications as part of an on-call rotation
- Must have excellent customer service skills and enjoy working in a small collaborative team
- Must have experience and commitment to excellent customer service (on phone, remotely, in-person)
- Must be comfortable with and able to lift up to 50lbs, move standard IT equipment (computers, printers, etc), and able to manage computer and equipment setup requiring accessing cabling behind desks and on floor.
- BS in Systems, or Network Administration, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Windows client and server operating systems
- Demonstrable experience with Linux Operating Systems (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, or AWS Linux)
- Scripting Experience (Bash, Shell, or Python)
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with web and application servers
- Experience with networking and troubleshooting network protocols
- Ability to learn quickly and perform under timeline expectations.
- Ability to prioritize & manage several tasks, work independently and accomplish broad objectives
- Excellent creating and maintaining technical and user-focused documentations
- Ability to collaborate and work productively with IT staff and research scientists of highly diverse backgrounds
- Active Directory experience a plus
- Experience or exposure to database administration (Oracle, SQL, MySQL, Postgres)
- Experience or exposure to cloud service delivery
- Experience or exposure to management of systems in a VMWare environment
- Experience or exposure to DevOps technology (automation, containerization, log aggregation)
- Experience or exposure to backup technologies (Veeam, Netbackup)