City of Melrose is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Title: Civil Engineering Internship
Department: Department of Public Works
Supervisor: City Engineer and Director of Public Works
Status: Paid, Full Time, Mon- Fri, 35 hours per week; $15/hr
Seasonal Position as classified by the Affordable Care Act
(Not to exceed 6 months of employment)
The City of Melrose is located 8 miles North of Boston and is accessible by the Commuter Rail Line and the Orange Line Subway. City Hall is conveniently located at 562 Main Street, a short walk from the Commuter Line or a bus ride from the subway station.
· Assist Engineering Division staff with planning, design, and construction projects relating to water, sewer, drainage, roadway, and traffic infrastructure.
· Perform and assist with field investigations, construction monitoring and documentation, and data collection and tracking.
· Conduct engineering research and provide technical assistance to Engineering staff, contractors and residents.
· Assist with other special projects and programs, and perform other work as assigned by supervisor.
· Must have or be pursuing an Associate or Bachelor Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or other related degree.
· Prior engineering work experience is preferred but not required.
· Proficiency Microsoft Office products is required.
· Experience with ESRI GIS software and AutoCAD is preferred.
· Demonstrated experience in providing customer service to co-workers and residents with tact, courtesy, sensitivity and discretion.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to express ideas clearly and concisely with reports and sketches.
· Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
· Must have a valid driver’s license.
· Ability to lift 25 pounds, carry equipment, walk, climb, and stand for long periods of time.
· Steel toed work boots required. Additional PPE (hardhat, gloves, etc.) will be provided.