BVI® is a global ophthalmic medical device manufacturer with a mission to deliver high quality solutions and innovation for advancing eye surgery and improving the vision of patients. With nine decades of developing leading products and solutions, BVI partners with ophthalmic surgeons to improve the vision of millions of patients across the globe. Our team supports surgical teams, in more than 115 countries worldwide, either directly or through our network of trusted distributors. Our trusted brands include: Beaver® (Knives and Blades), Visitec® (Cannulas), Malosa® (Single-Use Instruments), Vitreq® (Vitreoretinal Surgical Products) and PhysIOL® (Premium Intraocular Lenses).
Under direct supervision and guidance, this co-op will provide an opportunity to be exposed to the medical device field and offer hands-on experience working within the Research & Development group in an Engineering capacity. As a co-op in the R&D department, you will work with cross-functional product development teams and alongside experienced engineers, contribute to design solutions and the advancement of new product development projects for surgical devices in ophthalmology. This individual would be responsible for building test samples, compiling, analyzing and reporting operational test and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified products, processes or materials. You will be assigned to specific product and/or support teams.
- Undertakes and successfully completes simple or basic project/product development tasks to include any of the following: building and evaluating product prototypes, developing and writing test methods, developing and documenting new product concepts, documenting of all test results and assembly processes.
- Attends and contributes to product development meetings, which may include representatives from cross-functional business partners.
- Creates/invents new concepts and designs/approaches for new products/processes/test methods.
- Designs, procures, and fabricates tooling and fixtures.
- Designs and coordinates engineering tests and experiments.
- Participates in innovation challenges sponsored by the organization.
- Communicates technical results/findings to a broad audience of varied technical expertise.
- Completes basic tasks on engineering documentation.
- Trains technicians/operators on new processes and/or test procedures.
- Identifies areas for improvement, suggests solutions and submits idea records.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
In order to be eligible for the R&D Co-op position, the candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college/institution and be in good academic standing pursuing a Bachelors or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or similar field. Only students in their Sophomore year or above will be considered. The candidate should be a driven individual with an interest in medical device development. SolidWorks knowledge is a plus.
The bullets listed below are examples of typical physical requirements for many jobs. Please remove or add requirements as necessary.
· Extensive use of keyboard requiring repetitive motion of fingers.
· Extensive use of telephone and face-to-face communication requiring accurate perception of speech.
· Regular sitting for extended periods of time.
· May require occasional travel.
Beaver Visitec International is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
BVI does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact BVI’s human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to BVI. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and BVI. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of BVI. BVI shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Session: Student must be available to work for a 4-6 month assignment in Waltham, MA – Monday through Friday. Additionally, if a student is available for a year long assignment that would be preferred.