From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Why shouldn’t a project use high performance, low energy building systems?
As a Building Services (MEP) engineer you will collaborate and work the architects, and other engineers, to develop creative, energy efficient buildings that provide both aesthetic to its physical surrounding and utility to its occupants. We at Buro Happold work as part of a global team, balance client’s aspirations with engineering constraints, to design high performance, low energy building systems. We use advanced modelling techniques to analyze the building envelope and its floor layouts. Our innovatively designed systems are then integrated into the building fabric, to create functional internal spaces and balanced, controllable conditions.
With us, your preconceptions will be tested, your resilience built, and your career enriched. This role offers you the opportunity to:
- Undertake detailed electrical engineering building services design and calculations (using both software and knowledge to verify robust calculations)
- Embrace the latest technologies to improve performance and sustainability. Sustainable design is top of our corporate agenda
- Prepare technical specifications and schedules, design development reports and innovative design solutions.
- Analyze load to determine system sizing
- Assign circuitry for power and lighting devices
- Collaborate with individuals from other disciplines and/or vendors to gain knowledge on new subjects
- Write summaries of the calculation methodologies employed
- Participate in the input of geometry and data into Revit models
- Create computational solutions to complex engineering problems via visual programming and coding
- We’ll help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation.
In return we ask you to bring the following:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- BSEE: coursework in electrical power systems design, control systems, electric machines
- Demonstrated interest in the electrical engineering industry with an emphasis on the power side of the discipline
- Interest or experience in telecom distribution, audio/visual, fixed/wireless local area networks, security, cellular mobile infrastructure
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Revit MEP, AutoCAD, or Project preferred
- Experience with technical presentations and technical writing
- Academic research, coursework, or other experience with alternative energy systems and other technologies new to the construction industry preferred
- Interest and/or experience in visual programming (Dynamo, Grasshopper), coding (Python, C#), and/or open source coding projects
- Ability to multi-task, effectively manage time, and maintain ongoing project focus
- Internship or co-op experience at engineering related firm preferred, and proven interest in the built environment
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible manner
- Eagerness to learn and work as part of a multidisciplinary team