Job Description – Mechanical Engineering Intern / Co-op
The Diabetes Care business unit has a long history within BD and is unique in that it focuses on one important disease state which is a threat to world health. The business unit is comprised of approximately 2,300 associates globally. BD’s Andover facility focuses on the development of Advanced Diabetes Care products to help patients improve the treatment of their disease and lead healthier lives.
Within the Diabetes Care business, you will have the opportunity to contribute to research and development activities that will have a key impact on the Diabetes Care market. We are looking for a motivated individual that is interested in learning about this market segment and contribute to our product testing activities.
As an Intern / Co-op in the mechanical engineering group you will be responsible for understanding the testing goals necessary to demonstrate that the product meets particular requirements. You will work in a team setting to identify appropriate test equipment, define test methods, determine appropriate sample sizes for the given test, prepare samples, execute testing and write final test reports. You will likely get some product design exposure as well.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identification of appropriate test equipment
- Install and validate equipment and or test fixtures as needed
- Support exploratory testing to define test equipment, test fixtures, and test methods development
- Write test methods, test protocols, engineering test reports, and final test reports
- Participate in training, test methods validation, and execution of testing as needed
- Product and/or fixture design in SolidWorks
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Good mechanical test laboratory skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good communication skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- One year of education in a Mechanical engineering program is required, 2 or more years is preferred.
- Experience working in a mechanical test laboratory is preferred
- Experience working with mechanical test equipment (Instron, Pressure testing, Torque measurements, etc.) is a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is a must
- Knowledge of SolidWorks, Labview, Mathlab, or Minitab software programs is a plus